Monday, April 27, 2015

Jay Barker in Blue Jays clothing

While we were all busy watching West Virginia's bombing by Alabamian troops wearing game worn jerseys and bats and carrying tons (literally) of cards, Wes figured he'd go for a sneak attack overseas (it's pretty easy to sneak-attack us) and send me an envelope filled with Blue Jays goodness.

Here's a sample of it, while I have some nurses take a look at my wounds.


In the beginning there was darkness...And then came Heat activated fun cards. It's horribly designed (they were just starting to use Photoshop back then, obviously), but it's a lot of fun indeed.


A baseball card magazine card (what happened to all those publications ? Do any of them exist outside of Beckett ?) and....O-Pee-Chee !


The funny thing about that Classic card is that at the back, there's a small space designed for the autograph. A card is made to be signed on the front, dangit ! I only have the Blue Jays players from those US playing cards sets. Makes solitary games really short.


This is an SP. A Wall-mart blue bordered SP. I've quit trying to keep up with parallels.


I won't deliberately chase them (because there're simply way, way too many of them), but I'm always glad to find them in trade packages ! Target red, Wall-mart blue...I wonder who decides which retailer gets which color.


More parallels ! But at least I can keep up with those. That Stottlemyre is weirdly framed.


Technically, that Shawn Green is a Dodgers card. But I'd rather have a non BLue Jays card of a player in a Blue Jays uniform, than a Blue Jays card with just the logo and another uniform. I find it ironic that Wes would send me a "Pacific" card...


More goodness, including Masterpieces, which is rapidly growing as one of my favorite post 2000 sets ever. And I only have something like 5 cards from that set.


Lots of shiny stuff going on here ! I like those Topps HD, though I'm not really sure I understand what they were trying to do. Packs were apparently $4, for 4 cards. Ouch. The Donruss Throwback is numbered 02/100


SN /424 ? Ok, why not.


More very shiny parallels, this time including very low numbers. Remember when Finest refractors went for quadruple digits because of the rumored 242 copies of each ? Does it mean that Wells and Arencibia should go for 5 times more ?

 Wes probably thought Lawrie would spread controversy among enemies. But no such thing here, we all fight in peace ! (I like the sound of that)


Mr Jaybarkerfan passed this card along, after rubbing my face in it on his blog a few weeks ago. It's such a weird card with that plastic helmet embedded in there ! The on-card auto comes almost as an afterthought. I LOVE it !

It was a ton of fun following your battle with Matt at a (safe) distance, and I was very happy to try and (modestly) hit you with a few bombs of my own. And even though I'm not a big fan of the military and am a pacifist at heart, all those war metaphors were pretty fun too. Now let's watch the trees blossom and each bring some marshmallows to the campfire.

Even though it's hardly ever a fair battle with Wes, it's always fun trying to match his madness. I haven't surrendered yet (now, let's not make jokes about French surrendering, shall we ?)

1 comment:

  1. I feel like their needs to be some type of online test to take to become parallel efficient. Maybe cardboardconnection.com could do that.

    Great stuff from Wes.

    ReplyDelete